The Book of Kells
The Book of Kells, an Irish national heritage artifact, contains lavishly decorated copy, in Latin, of the Four Gospels. It has long been associated with St. Colum Cille (c 521? 597 ad) who founded his principal monastery on the Island of Iona, off the west coast of Scotland, in about 561. The Book of Kells was probably produced early in the 9th century, partially it is believed, at Kells County, Meath where is was moved for safekeeping from Viking raids, It was moved to its current location in Triinity College Dublin in 1653 during the Cromwellian period.